GRCA Judges’ Education
The GRCA Judges’ Education Committee has been charged by GRCA with the task of building and maintaining educational materials for AKC conformation judges of Golden Retrievers.
“To those who feel there is no value in watching Goldens run in field trials or in hunt tests, when their only interest is in conformation competition, you are wrong! It is vitally important to see first-hand the structure and athleticism needed to cover the terrain and perform the functions for which the breed was intended. Too many judges and fanciers today see only the lovely expression, wagging tail and often over-groomed, beautiful specimen in the conformation ring. Nothing can replace actually seeing this breed in action, fulfilling its historical purpose. The Golden Retriever’s athletic good looks must reflect its abilities, and nothing in the dog’s conformation should interfere with, or detract from, the Golden’s working, sporting characteristics. After all, the breed standard states ‘Primarily a hunting dog.’” (Glenda Brown & Ainslie Mills. The Golden Retriever, Primarily a Hunting Dog: A Historical Perspective. Showsightonline.com, Feb 2015.)
GRCA’s Judge’s Education Program
- Approved Presenters/Tutors
GRCA approved presenters and tutors are available for presentations to Judge’s Institutes, study groups, and GRCA member clubs, as well as ringside tutoring with prior arrangement. Contact the JEC for additional information or check the AKC/CKC judges’ directory for contact information.
- Committee Contacts
- The Presenter/Tutor Program
The purpose of the Presenter/Tutor Program is to provide knowledgeable and capable mentors for GRCA Judges Education activities. These activities include giving presentations at GRCA National, Regional and local specialties; and at seminars/workshops sponsored by the AKC and independent judges’ organizations. GRCA approved Presenters/Tutors also act as individual tutors for approved and aspiring conformation judges and CCA Evaluators. Interested members are encouraged to find out more about participating in the program.
- Presenter/Tutor Program Application
- Participants at past GRCA National Specialty Judges’ Education Events
Golden Retriever Breeder Judges
- Upcoming GRCA National and Regional Specialties
- Upcoming Judges’ Education Seminars and Workshops
- Upcoming Field Events for Retrievers
GRCA encourages all conformation judges of Golden Retrievers to see the breed in action at a field trial, hunting test or GRCA working certificate test.
For GRCA WC/WCX tests search here
For AKC field events, search the AKC event site for the field trials or hunt tests by state here
- Judge’s Study Package for licensed and provisional judges. $25
- NEW Golden Retriever Conformation Judges Training Video
- The Golden Retriever: An Illustrated Study Guide
- Golden Retriever Quick Study Guide (suitable for double-sided printing)
- Golden Retriever-At a Glance (suitable for printing on legal paper and folding into a pamphlet)
- Articles, and Letters to Judges
- The Golden Retriever – Structure, Movement and Use (Video)
- IN REVIEW: JE Postings from GRCA Judge’s Education Facebook site